Mary Odum (Dixon)
Mary Odum, PhD
- PhD, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
- MS, The Citadel, Charleston, South Carolina
- BA, Erskine College, Due West, South Carolina
Recent Courses Taught:
- HED 1320: Introduction to Health and Wellness Promotion
- HED 4640: Community Health Program Planning and Evaluation
- HED 4336: Theoretical Foundations of Health and Wellness Promotion
- HED 5312: Writing for Public Health Research
- Community and public health
- Socio-ecological influences on obesity and nutrition-related chronic health conditions
- Community-based nutrition programs
- Writing as a tool to enhance learning
Indicates student author
- Odum, M., & Xu, L. (n.d.). Racial and sex differences of fruit and vegetable self-efficacy and intake among college students in a rural, Southern location. Journal of American College Health. doi: 10.1080/07448481.2018.1515752
- Xu, L. & Odum, M. (n.d.). Cancer awareness and behavioral determinants associated with cancer prevention: A quantitative study among young adults in rural settings. Journal of Cancer Education. doi: 10.1007/s13187-018-1342-8
- Odum, M., Housman, J.M., & Williams, R.D. (2018). Intrapersonal factors of male and female adolescent fruit and vegetable intake. American Journal of Health Behavior, 42(2), 106-115. doi: 10.5993/AJHB.42.2.10
- Odum, M., Outley, C.W., McKyer, E.L.J., Tisone, C.A., & McWhinney, S.L. (2017). Weight-related barriers for overweight students in an elementary physical education classroom: An exploratory case study with one physical education teacher. Frontiers in Public Health, 5, 305.
- Xu, L., Jacobs, W., Odum, M., Meltin, C., Holland, L., & Johnson, C. (2017). Are young adults talking about their family health history? A qualitative investigation. American Journal of Health Studies, 32(2), 60-69.
- Williams, R.D., Housman, J.M., & Odum, M. (2017). Adolescent energy drink use related to intake of fried and high-sugar foods. American Journal of Health Behavior, 41(4), 454-460.
- Williams, R.D., Housman, J.M., Odum, M., & Rivera, A. (2017). Energy drink use linked to high-sugar beverage intake and BMI among teens. American Journal of Health Behavior, 41(3), 259-265.
- Odum, M., Housman, J.M., Williams, R.D., Bishop, J.M., & Burson, S. (2016). Predicting U.S. adolescents fruit and vegetable consumption: Which socio-ecological factors matter? American Journal of Health Studies, 31(4), 213-221.
Recent Grants and Funding:
- $16,000 - Odum, M., & Housman, J.M. Childhood obesity prevention for low-income, minority families in San Marcos, Texas. Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, 2017.