The Department of Health and Human Performance
HHP Policy and Procedure Statement: 2.04 Graduate Faculty Status
Review Cycle: November 1, E3Y (15 paragraphs)
Review Date: November 21, 2008
Reviewer: The HHP Personnel Committee
Purpose and Corresponding Policies
1. The Graduate College at Texas State University-San Marcos allows for faculty appointment as Regular Graduate Faculty or Adjunct Graduate Faculty.
2. Academic Affairs PPS 7.03 describes minimum criteria for appointment and reappointment of graduate faculty.
3. The purpose of this document is to provide additional criteria and guidelines for eligibility that conform to departmental and college expectations in scholarly/creative activity for tenure and promotion (COE PPS 8.10 and HPER PPS 3.02 and 3.03).
4. Regular Graduate Faculty:
4.01 Are tenured and tenure track faculty employed with the Department of HHP
4.02 Are eligible to teach master’s level classes and/or serve as chair of master’s thesis committees.
4.03 Are appointed for a period of 3 years.
5. Associate Graduate Faculty:
5.01 Are senior lectures employed within the Department of HHP.
5.02 Are eligible to teach master’s level classes and/or serve as members on master’s thesis committees.
5.03 Are appointed for a period of 3 years.
6. Adjunct Graduate Faculty:
6.01 Are per course faculty hired by the department on an as need basis.
6.02 Have an earned doctorate from an accredited institution.
6.03 Are eligible to teach a master’s level course and/or serve as members on master’s thesis committees.
6.04 May be appointed up to 1 year.
Criteria For Regular and Associate Graduate Faculty Status
7. The Department of HPER holds in high esteem its Graduate Faculty and has established criteria and guidelines for eligibility for faculty members wishing to seek Regular or Associate Graduate Faculty Status.
8. To qualify for appointment as Regular and Associate Graduate Faculty, the faculty member must meet the minimum Graduate College criteria for faculty teaching graduate courses, including have earned an academic doctorate in a Health, Recreation, Exercise Science or related field, and must sustain academic qualifications by continued participation in one of the following scholarly/creative areas within the last five years:
8.01 Acceptance or publication of one or more first author, journal articles or co-author on at least three articles in indexed journals that:
8.01.1 Involve discipline-based research, and/or
8.01.2 Involve learning/pedagogical research.
8.02 Acceptance of an external funded grant.
8.03 Specific selection and acceptance or exhibition of work at a location (e.g., museum) of national, international, or state-level prestige.
8.04 A design award based on juried competition (at national, international, regional, or state level.
8.05 A professional design commission based on a juried selection process at national, international, regional, or state level).
8.06 Textbook or scholarly book.
8.07 Five or more of the following scholarly contributions or any combination thereof (no more than three from the same category may count toward the five contributions):
8.07.1 Chapters in scholarly books,
8.07.2 Proceedings from scholarly meetings,
8.07.3 Research papers presented at academic or professional meetings,
8.07.4 Submitted externally funded research proposal,
8.07.5 Publication of creative works in a book,
8.07.6 Exhibition of creative work at academic or professional meetings,
8.07.7 Exhibitions of creative works at juried shows or exhibitions,
8.07.8 Other publications of professional or creative works based on a peer selection process (e.g., catalog publications).
9. Only faculty recognized by the Graduate College as Regular Graduate Faculty may:
9.01 Participate in votes on graduate program issues,
9.02 Serve as chairs on graduate student thesis committees, and
9.03 Serve on College committees that deal exclusively with graduate program issues.
10. These criteria have been approved by the Department of HHP’s Personnel Committee (PC). The approved criteria are on file in The Graduate College, the College of Education (COE) Dean's Office, and the HHP departmental office. The criteria are reviewed every three years.
Procedure – Application and Review Process
11. The following process shall be followed to nominate/re-nominate HHP faculty to Graduate Faculty status:
11.01 During the annual activity review cycle, interested faculty should apply for Regular Faculty Status by providing the Department Chair with evidence of their qualifications (refer to paragraph 8). The Department Chair will confirm whether the applicant meets the Graduate College and the HHP department criteria for Regular Graduate Faculty status. For re-application, scholarly productivity and additional factors, including but not limited to, past performance in graduate courses, course evaluations, grade distributions, course documents, and teaching pedagogy will be considered.
11.02 In the event that at a graduate course cannot be covered by a Regular Graduate Faculty member, then either a suitable tenured or tenure track faculty member or adjunct will be asked to teach the course. In light of this need, the tenured/tenure-track faculty member will be given Associate Graduate Faculty status or the adjunct will be given Adjunct Graduate faculty status.
11.03 Once the status is confirmed, the Department Chair shall complete the Nomination/Re-nomination Form (Appendix A - Academic Affairs PPS 7.03) and shall attach a copy of the nominee's complete and current curriculum vita based on the prescribed TxState Vita format (PPS 8.10 Form 1A).
11.04 A representative of the department's PC shall review the nominee's credentials, indicate concurrence or non-concurrence, sign the form, and return the form to the Department Chair.
11.05 The Department Chair shall review the nomination package, indicate concurrence or non-concurrence, sign the form, and forward the form to the Dean of the COE.
11.06 The Dean of the COE shall review the nominee's credentials, indicate concurrence or non-concurrence, sign the form, and forward the form to the Dean of the Graduate College.
11.07 The Dean of the Graduate College shall review the nominee's credentials, indicate concurrence or non-concurrence, sign the form, and return the form to the requesting Department Chair.
11.08 Upon receipt of the form from the Dean of the Graduate College, the Department Chair shall forward the completed Nomination/Re-nomination Form to the COE Dean’s office where it shall be kept.
11.09 The Dean of the COE shall ensure that information on the College master-list of the Graduate Faculty and the e-mail distribution list for the College Graduate Faculty are updated.
11.10 Faculty denied graduate faculty status may appeal to the Department Chair and the Graduate Faculty Committee.
Other Related Issues
12. Unless in the case of emergencies, faculty must be approved for Graduate Faculty (Regular, Associate, or Adjunct) status before teaching a graduate course, serving on graduate student thesis committees, or serving on College committees that deal exclusively with graduate program issues.
13. Graduate Faculty membership is reviewed at the end of the appointment period not to exceed three years for Regular Graduate Faculty, one year for Associate Graduate Faculty, and one semester for Adjunct Graduate Faculty.
14. One year prior to their review, the Chair will remind Regular Graduate Faculty of the requirements to remain on graduate faculty.
15. In the case where a faculty member’s term on the Graduate Faculty has expired and the Department Chair, in consultation with the PC, chooses not to reappoint the person, the Department Chair shall notify the Dean of the COE of the decision. At that time, the Dean of the COE shall ensure that information on the College master-list of Graduate Faculty is updated. The faculty member’s name shall also be deleted from the e-mail distribution list for the College Graduate Faculty.
This HHP PPS has been approved by the reviewers listed below and represents the HHP policy and procedure from the date of the document until superseded.
Voting Faculty Representative: ____________________ Date: __________
Approve: ___________________________________ Date: __________
Chair of the HHP Department